Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sunshine, been keeping me up for days.

There is so much to say about this past weekend. I don't even know where to begin. It was an educational experience, to say the least.

Three friends from back east surprised me on Friday with 5 hours notice to their arrival here. For the entire weekend. I couldn't refuse them. And yes, they were here all weekend. As it was their first time in Austin, I was obligated to show them as much of this city as time would allow. It was exhausting. Don't be mistaken, all three are wonderful people and it was lovely to see them.. but as I mentioned, the whole ordeal certainly taught me something; I am not the social butterfly I once was. In fact, I'm quite the opposite. I couldn't stop myself from wanting nothing more than to be home, alone. Every smile, every laugh, everything felt so forced. I can't truly have fun with other people anymore, at least not people that don't know me very well. Needless to say, I'm glad the weekend is over and I have the house to myself again. Social anxiety, my goodness. I never foresaw myself having any issues with it, but it seems Sean has rubbed off on me yet again. But who could argue that your own company is more satisfying than the company of others? I need not meet any requirements when I'm alone. No fake smiles, no awkward silences between conversations, no pressure to drink cheap beer. I'm just relieved that I've grown to love myself so much that I'd rather be alone than with others. It's a big step for me, something I've never reached before.

On a sidenote, I've officially started classes. Yep, I'm a phoenix. My first two courses - Intro to University Studies and Principles of Health and Wellness. Basic stuff. The health course should provide some good motivation towards the diet/exercise kick I'm getting in. So far, it's been well.

I'll be getting another carepackage together for Sean today or tomorrow. I'm sending him nicorette gum, the Iron & Wine show I recorded, the latest True Bloods, letters, and any other odds and ends I can find to send him. I wasn't going to get anything together this soon, but he's begging me for the gum, and I can't say no. =)

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit I'm much like you in that way. Well, partially. I'm usually fine with friends back home but since I've moved to NY I've been much more content with my mom's and my own company. A couple cousins have taken me out and introduced me to their friends and I had varying rates of success. But all I could think both time was how much I wished I was at home sitting on my laptop. Pathetic, right? haha

    ReplyDelete