Sunday, September 19, 2010

Song sung softly.

So much has happened, yet I'm found now in the same position I was in two months ago. In a nutshell:

- University of Phoenix is a business, a fool's college who will take whatever money they can get their filthy, unaccredited hands on. I withdrew three weeks in, and now owe them $900. This has been so stressful for me, we don't have this kind of money to toss around. Alas, there's nothing further I can do to fight it, so I'll be making payments very soon.

- I have, however, enrolled with Austin Community College. My financial aid will not only be paying my tuition fees, but I'll also be receiving an extra $1000 or so per semester. This money is mine, it will be going into my checking account. I'm beside myself with excitement knowing that I will be paid to go to school. I start classes in January, and will be majoring in Psychology. I've always had the desire to learn, and to attend college classes for something I'm interested in. Business is practical, but the joys of higher education will be robbed of me if I take business courses. Instead, I'll major in what I've always wanted to, and it will be fulfilling.

- I was fired from the coffee shop, Star Co., and am still absolutely livid about it. I'd done nothing wrong. I have been nothing less than a fine employee at that crapshoot establishment, I enjoyed my job and the customers loved me. Never late, only called out once. What more could they want from me? Sean reminded me that yes, this is Texas, and I am not run-of-the-mill. I should have expected it. I've been unemployed for just over a week now, and finding something new has not been easy.

- I've been learning how to drive Sean's Jetta. I've never driven stick before, and always grew frustrated when Sean would try to teach me. Now, a friend of mine (who has dedicated his life to teaching) is giving me lessons. I've made considerable progress so far. My self-appointed deadline is the end of November - I'd like to have my license and be completely comfortable driving Sean's car. The sooner, the better. With this, I can get a better job, too.

I suppose those are the major bullet points of my life right now. Things move so quickly, and suddenly come to a screeching halt. I don't know where the current will take me now, but I'm moving with it, and I will not be pulled under.

Sean has been gone for just over two months now. As a whole, the time has passed quickly. Some days, however, drag like an anchor on the ocean's floor. I get through each one with a sense of accomplishment, though. Tuesday marks our first anniversary. One year together. It hardly seems like it's been that long, at a glance, but so much has happened since that beautiful morning in St. Petersburg. I'm not sure what to expect on Tuesday. I may be bitter, callous.. but I'd prefer to be joyful, full of mirth and love and smiling, laughing in celebration. We'll see.

3 comments:

  1. Jessica, I am so sorry about Phoenix University. I got my tuition bill the other day, and while I doubt they're ripping me off like yours did to you, believe me. I know how it feels to be swindled.

    As for the community college, that's amazing! My best friend has the same sort of deal with tuition. She used one semesters extra money to pay for one of her tattoos, another semester she bought an iPod Touch...while I sat here broke! (haha just kidding...kind of)

    As for the job, that really just sucks. I don't really know what to say about that one. Sometimes things are just suck-y and there's no way around that. But hopefully this will be an opportunity to end up somewhere tens times better.

    I know we haven't been family for long, but just know that I love you just like I love all my cousins. We really need to talk more. And remember (as I'm sure you already do), Sean's love for you is evident in everything that he does. He'll be home soon.

    Love, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, was this starbucks in Round Rock??? Because it seems that the Austin area is wayyyyy more accepting. I love the motto: Keep Austin Weird and that is why I love Austin so much. I'm glad ACC worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. life has a way of happening at the times we least need it to ... but you're a military wife & as a military wife you get used to it & you tell it to kiss your (or in my case lily white english) butt. You know this & you will be fine. & on tuesday you will be fine because to be a military wife you have to be strong otherwise you won't survive. You're strong & a surviver so throw yourself into college & the other things you love & before you know it you'll reach the half way point!

    ReplyDelete