Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Deeper than the Mariana.

Today is our anniversary. One year ago, we were just married. Beside ourselves with delight and passion, we enveloped eachother with a love so deep, so pure, that we'd never know anything less.




I didn't know what to expect today. Sean had asked me to stay home for the better part of the day, so I assumed he'd be having something sent here. The doorbell rang, and I was given the most beautiful bouquet of roses I've ever seen. How I am so lucky, I still don't know. My husband is in a war-zone, thousands of miles from me. He's so far away, yet still manages to create a world for me flooded with brilliant light and warm affections.





From here, there is very little I could do for him today. However, I did manage this.



Warren Ellis and Neil Gaiman are two of our favorite contemporary authors. I knew it was a longshot, but I explained the situation to both (via Twitter, obviously), and asked if they could spare a moment to send him well-wishes. Both authors were kind enough to do so, and I'm sure Sean and I both did happy dances. I can think of countless gifts I could have given him today, but seeing as he wanted nothing but my love.. I think I've done well.

I can't believe it's been a year already. It seems like just weeks ago we were in that room, nervous and elated at what was to come. I'll never forget how it felt to look into his eyes, recite my vows, and to say "I do". It's an affair that has burned itself into my memory. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Today, I celebrate alone. Next year, he will be here, and we will embrace the day as we could not today. Sean Clark Harriman, I love you. Happy Anniversary.

2 comments:

  1. He's so lucky to have found someone who understands him so well!! What thoughtful gifts, from both of you!

    --Rachel

    ReplyDelete